[xml-h] How semantic are links?

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 17:54:14 GMT 2003

At 15:19 19/01/2003 -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
>Linkbases seem like a really standard annotation mechanism to me.
>That's not quite the same as "authoring intent" and I guess it seems
>much more like a "great to have" than a "must have".
>
>If I say
>
>   <para>Simon St. Laurent publishes frequently on
>
>I, the author, am establishing a link that is part of the content of
>my document. It's there whether it's styled or not even whether it's
>displayed or not.
>
>If a linkbase establishes some relationship between the string "Simon
>St. Laurent" and some other location, that's ok, but it wasn't
>authored that way.
>
>When push comes to shove, maybe these two situations are
>indistinguishable. But it *feels* like there's a distinction.

one mans view.

Its a difference established by the Simon's of this world?
the author says they are connected... Its the application that makes it
hyper? (blue underlined thingy).

    Something about styling vs semantics?

Whether I use a link base, HTML or Bob's ideas, the (v.simple) authors
statement
is that these two things (could be n I suppose) Simon, and xml.com are
connected.
That's all the author is saying?

regards DaveP