[rdfweb-dev] Re: Parsing FOAF in perl?

Jim Ley jim at j...
Sun Dec 8 19:48:50 UTC 2002

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99 at h...>

> I could,
> for example, state that personX's homePage URL is something. And
unless their
> own foaf indicated otherwise my assertion for it would stand. So just
pulling
> out raw triples is perhaps a bad thing.

Attribution exists in the foaf database, however, people seem unable to
sign their foaf accurately, so there's not a lot of point, at the moment
there are the same number of people with bad signatures as there are with
good (although it's only uri's that have been updated through the
interface that are included) without signing no provenance exists, so
it's pretty irrelevant trying to build it into the interface.

These aggregrating sources, are always going to contain untrustworthy
data, there's no way in the interface to show where it gets its
information from, but that isn't the intention of such a view. We could
easily make a version that only allowed information from trusted people,
and only allowed "self description" of all information, but I don't
really see that such a tool is useful.

When you want to ask the the SW a specific question, you're going to want
a higher level of trust than the overview views of foafnaut and similar.

It's been mentioned to me that having foafnaut display a link to "the
persons own foaf" would be a good idea, without realising that there's no
way that foafnaut can tell who "owns" some foaf, it's simply a URI.

> The ability to clearly state authority over a triple is going to be
important.

And exists without a problem, it's just not exposed in the interface (and
there's no point even thinking about it until people actually start
signing accurately their foaf!)

Jim.