schema creation?

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at h...
Fri Dec 6 21:03:47 UTC 2002

Hi all,

If I had some stuff that used keywords and an initial would it be useful to use
a schema to indicate what's what?

As in, each acronym means something. "XYZ" meaning "Xray Yankee Zulu" or "ABC"
being "Able Baker Charlie", etc. There's a limited set of these acronymsand they
mix and match but only on a subset in each postion. There could be a
combination of these base elements into the abbreviations.

So an element might contain <elt>ABC</elt> and the postion of the letters would
always being in that order. "ABC", "XBC", "XBF", etc. Each first postion will
always be made from a set of characters. Each position's character is separate
from the others. I'd want some way to indicate that the ABC element is based on
the A, B and C elements.

I'm wondering how to indicate in a schema that a string like this is "made up
of" other elements. I have no idea if there's a right way (or any way) to do
this.

I'm thinking some sort of 'isDefinedBy','subClassOf' or 'seeAlso' thing. Or is
there not a way to do this "properly" in RDF?

I only do this under the expectation that at some point in the future I'm going
to approach the data looking to use each letter as the search or filtering
starting point.

Or is this a case for a seeAlso for each letter? The ordering isn't important.

<elt>
<rdf:value="ABC" />
<rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="http://example.com/URI#A" />
<rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="http://example.com/URI#B" />
<rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="http://example.com/URI#C" />
</elt>

I'd be more interested in the source data containing only the <elt>ABC</elt> and
using something else to split out the related elements if possible.

Thoughts?

-Bill Kearney