<foaf:community>?

The Emperor <the_emperor at m...> the_emperor at m...
Sat Dec 14 16:29:21 UTC 2002

Danny,

> Looks a very good idea. A few quick comments:
>
> Sorry if you've discussed it before, but is there a good reason for
two
> separate namespaces? I would have thought community & group (in the
sig
> context) could happily coexist.

You may be right - my thinking is that a community is a wrapper for
FOAF files of people who visit and make up a specific entity like a
website (or members of a village or something else like a pub?) while
a group is a larger more conceptual/nebulous accumulation of
individuals, sites, communities and other types of ways we define our
interaction with each other.

It may be that the distinction is meaningless but I see the Community
as being only one possible component of a group - it all depends on
the approach to taxonomy that we take (splitting or lumping).
Possibly an example might be a good idea.

> I'm still a little confused about the use of parent_group and
sub_group, I
> suspect this could be simplified, though I like the general idea.

My thinking was that however, you try and define a group someone will
always try and define a smaller or larger group to deal with more
specific or broader interests and using parentGroup and subGroup (the
point below being taken into account ;) ) would allow people to
define their relationships to large or smaller groups. To avoid
complication I'm tending to favour a bottom up approach so we would
only have parentGroup (or superGroup possibly - making the
subGroup/superGroup more meaningful) as high levels group documents
like, e.g., Web designers would get very complicated quickly.

> Naming style - parentGroup, subGroup etc. would be more in keeping
with
> current usage styles.

Good point - that is my PHP coding influence creeping in ;)

> sig:documentation - surely there's an existing term that could be
used here?
> (offhand I can only think of seeAlso, which isn't quite enough)

Yes I suspect Dublin Core provides us with the tools to describe this.

> com:admintrator - typo.

Well spotted - thanks.

Regards,
Emps