foaf as semantic web sampler

Dan Brickley danbri at w...
Sun Dec 15 17:27:46 UTC 2002

I've been thinking about Bill's comment re schema bloat, and why it
seems to me to be ok to have a few things in FOAF like foaf:myersBriggs,
while not trying to be completist in our coverage of (say) personality
tests or location/address info.

It boils down to the notion that FOAF is a sampler, or advance-warning
teaser, for the Semantic Web. We do enough to give people a flavour of how
things might be, and enough to flush out some of the technical and social
issues raised by RDF/SemWeb. Pursuing this, and trying to build something
fun at the same time, it is quite reasonable to have the mix of classes
and properties we seem to be evolving for FOAF, while not trying to be
completist.

BTW there's a _big_ list of tests at http://www.intp.org/tests.html that
you might find fun...

Righto, back to fiddling with the hard drive booting setup for my PC. There
goes the weekend...

Dan