Friendster

The Emperor <the_emperor at m...> the_emperor at m...
Wed Dec 18 17:57:12 UTC 2002

--- In rdfweb-dev at yahoogroups.com, "Danny Ayers" <danny666 at v...>
wrote:

> >Not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm intending to add
a "Notify
> >Friends" feature to the FOAF-a-Matic Mark 2 which will allow you to
> >email those people you're listing as friends to let them know that
> >
> >a. you're created a FOAF description, and
> >b. you've listed them
>
> My jaw fell open when I saw Jame's reference to viral marketing
(/spamming),
> but put in as above it does actually sound a very good idea. The
only thing
> that would bother me is others creating a similar system, but with
an ugly
> payload ("Reduce your bandwidth with HGH!") - though I guess that's
entirely
> out of our hands.

In responsible hands the viral techniques are a great idea along the
lines of a 'recommend this link to a friend' kind of page. I think it
is a great idea and have been inspired to use something similar
myself eventually (see below).

> Has anyone made much progress with backend systems for this stuff?

Me ;)

I have FOAFed one of the communities I'm involved with and have
introduced various tools to allow people to add/edit extra details -
see this thread for discussion of this:

http://development.gurusnetwork.com/discussion/thread/1758/

Its not as flexible as if you were writing it by hand (and I've yet
to add the ability to add images, school/work homepages and
current/past projects) but the number of tables required would get a
little out of hand (I'm using 5 as well as the main user details).

Regards,
Emps