pgp signing

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at h...
Fri Dec 20 05:13:02 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I'm a little puzzled about how Edd's example of signing a foaf handles anything
being considered authoritative. Not that it's wrong, it's just that signing the
entire file says nothing about it having any real authority over what it
contains.

How can we address something like having one foaf:Person within a foaf file
recognized as the 'authoritative' entity making the assertions within itself?

That is, how can I 'indicate' that the signed document contains /my/ foaf:Person
and I'm making claim that the contents of it are authoritative? How can I say:
"Regardless of what triples you come across elsewhere, these are the
authoritative ones". I'm sure there's several issues to consider with how a
client reading this foaf is going to have any real reason to believe it's
assertions. I'm not looking for perfection. .

I could see this as being an important issue to most people.

I'm open to suggestions.

-Bill Kearney