An application idea and a problem

jamescarlyle <jamescarlyle at t...> jamescarlyle at t...
Sun Dec 22 17:00:31 UTC 2002

--- In rdfweb-dev at yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney99 at h...>
wrote:
> Edd's got an article that discusses some of this:
> http://usefulinc.com/foaf/encryptingFoafFiles

Bill,

Thanks. Should have done a better search for prior work :(

> My only comment is that transitive trusts are a real pain to
manage. Too often
> the participants misunderstand what they've let out to trust and
what they've
> been trusted to share.

This may be very true - I don't have any direct experience.
Transitive trusts have two big advantages, which I was hoping to
utilise. Because trust between parties is somewhat inferred rather
than purely stated explicitly, the volume of trust statements can be
reduced. And connections can be suggested between two people who
don't already have a trust relationship in place.

Of course for different types of information, different trust
assurances will need to apply.

> What is interesting, however, is the idea of using Foaf structures
as
> whitelisting aids. To have a mail transport start understanding
how to
> correlate frequencies of mail in/outbound with presense in foaf
groups
starts to
> look rather interesting. As in, I get mail from you, but you're
not on my
> whitelist. A foaf traversal of "nearby" groups shows you're in the
foaf
of
> someone else with which I frequently exchange mail. It might be
reasonable to
> assume that since the person with which I'm already
convering 'trusts you
> enough' to list you in their foaf it might be ok to let your mail
get
through.
> Sort of a decentralized six degrees of separation on mail handling.

DanBri has a page on FOAF whitelisting at
http://www.w3.org/2001/12/rubyrdf/util/foafwhite/intro.html, but I
think that the intent was only to cover simple aggregation of email
hashes, not to look at the number of degrees of separation.

James