Newbie trying to catch up

Julian Bond julian_bond at v...
Mon Dec 23 11:58:18 UTC 2002

I'm not sure how I missed it first time around, but I've just been
prodded into action by FOAF-A-Matic discovered via BoingBoing and Ben
Hammersley. I recognise a number of familiar faces here ;) As usual YG!
is not the friendliest of archive formats to use to try and catch up so
forgive me if I go over old ground.

A quick look in the archives turned up the Friendster thread and mention
of Ryze. This is of interest to me as I'm webmaster for a gloriously
messy website called Ecademy. One of the things we do there is a Network
tool that is somewhat like Ryze's private messages or a web version of
MSN Messenger. It's appeal is that you can begin a dialogue with an
unknown in a space where you don't have to expose your true name if you
don't want to. A side effect is that I've been building a FOAF network
by just tracking who talks to who. We've been exploring ways of
exploiting that data to offer services such as "Who do I know who could
introduce me to this person"

Last night I hacked an FOAF RDF export into the system and created a
little blue glyph (somewhat like the little orange XML glyph) to put on
everyone's profile page to link to it. It was done in a rush so please
point out any errors in my RDF coding.

Which is all a long winded way of announcing that my FOAF is at
http://www.ecademy.com/module.php?mod=network&op=foafrdf&uid=1
This is an entry point into a rich network of 3500 nodes and 10,000
links between nodes.

My own profile page is at
http://www.ecademy.com/account.php?op=view&id=1

--
Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at v...
Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/