[rdfweb-dev] Proposal: Names in FoaF

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Fri Apr 25 19:20:36 UTC 2003

>> I'm very much against
>> having middleName as a givenName as a substitute for middleName (which
>> doesn't exist) my middle name, is definately neither a familyName
(derived
>> from my family) nor is it a givenName (a name that I would respond to)
it's
>> simply part of my name.
>I'd be happy to accept evidence to the contrary, but I have seen nothing to
>indicate that there, in any western countries, is a difference between a
>given name and a middle name, apart from their positions.

I disagree, they're part of the name, but their importance is different, and
depends on the position, (although of course there's no way to distinguish
which is more important, I know many people who go by their middle name at
all times.)

>The point here is, that the position is the only difference between a
number
>of given names, and I do see why that may be interesting, but the concept
of
>"middle name" really doesn't exist (unless I'm mistaken).

It depends what you mean by givenName I think, it's usage as far as I can
see is in taking it as a name you would respond to, for most people that's
only 1 name, so multiple givenNames aren't helpful.

Jim.