[rdfweb-dev] Proposal: Names in FoaF

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Sat Apr 26 10:40:37 UTC 2003

[snip]

I have been thinking about a compromise:

Perhaps we've been too ambitious, seeking a single
set of vocabulary terms that will augment foaf:name in a way
that works for everyone on the planet.

It seems clear that foaf:givenName and foaf:familyName (or
somesuch) won't work for many many people. But also that
there are a fair number of people who could be usefully
described in this way.

How about we simply back away from the assumption that there
is a one-size fits all solution, while leaving the western-ish
vocab in FOAF for those who have a use for it, and welcoming
suggestions for further vocab that'll describe non-western naming
patterns. These could be part of FOAF or in separate vocabularies;
either works for me.

Just as foaf:workplaceHomepage doesn't cover the billions of people
whose employers don't have websites, there are other constructs in
FOAF which won't be applicable to everyone. This is a perfectly
pluralistic approach, I believe, since FOAF (and RDF) doesn't make
the assumption that there is a standard 'FOAF record format' with
mandatory fields of any kind. Properties that aren't applicable or
useful simple needn't be used.

How does that sound?

Dan