[rdfweb-dev] mbox as unambiguous

Joe Tennis rdfweb at joe10.com
Sat Apr 26 20:00:32 UTC 2003

Greetings all,

Here it is, my first dumb question/comment :)

So, I may have the definition of "unambiguous" wrong. Yes, I've read
the words at
http://www.daml.org/2001/03/reference.html#UnambigousProperty-def and
they don't help me much.

Unambiguous means to me "Can be trusted without question or
confusion. Has only one meaning and represents one and only one noun"
Does that mean that it's a "key", in database parlance? The sentence
"Furthermore it is a 'static unambiguous property', in that it picks
out at most a single individual, across time and change." sure makes
it sound that way.

FoafNaut asks that you look someone up by there mbox, which indicates
to me that it's being used as a key to distinguish elements of this
distributed database, what we call FOAFfiles.

If that's the case, it seams like a bad key to me. An email address
is no more definitely attributable to a single person than a phone
number; that is, a whole family might share an email address and
thereby make it difficult to register multiple family members with
FOAFNaut or other systems using that as their key.

Am I defining this property incorrectly?

/Joe
--
Joe Tennis
Information Design Honcho
joe at joe10.com
http://www.joe10.com?cpn=sig
Interaction Design | Information Architecture | Usability Consulting
for Web, Wireless and Interactive Media