[rdfweb-dev] FOAF browsing and FOAFster

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Tue Jul 8 12:47:59 UTC 2003

"Danny Ayers" <danny666 at virgilio.it>
> > In the foaf-world, I only "know" people who I've shared a drink
> > with, online
> > interaction isn't really enough, that doesn't mean there aren't people
out
> > there who I'd do much the same I would for a friend (trust an
introduction
> > from, do favours for etc.) but for me, I feel it's important to have
> > actually met them.
>
> Initially I'd have gone along with this, but despite knowing about the
> project since the early days, I think there is only one other FOAF'er I
> could include based on this (Chaals - and even then I think I was the only
> one with a drink ;-).

That's fine, you can think of knows however you want, I don't think it's
desirable to constrain it into some tight definition, as I doubt with that
definition I'd be willing to say I know anyone, or I know everyone.  An open
definition is the best one, with finer grained detail coming from
subProperties of knows.

danbri noted that foaf:knows is currently described as symmetric, I very
much don't like this since it means I have to make claims about other
people.

Jim.