[rdfweb-dev] how to say "I Made This!"

Libby Miller Libby.Miller at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jul 21 16:42:45 UTC 2003

hey Edd,

On 21 Jul 2003, Edd Dumbill wrote:

> Been thinking we need this for a while in FOAF.  Problem space is
> linking to a page's author, described as FOAF, from an HTML page.
> As there are no semantics are than "link" from the current
> rel="meta" type="application/rdf+xml" title="FOAF" setup, we need
> something more.
>
> I have a proposed solution in http://rdfweb.org/topic/IMadeThis

right, and on that page you've also written the RDF equivalent:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="">
  <foaf:maker>
    <foaf:Person>
      <foaf:mbox rdf:resource="mailto:edd at usefulinc.com" />
    </foaf:Person>
  </foaf:maker>
</rdf:Description>

for those who can't sign their foaf documents (or haven't
got around to it...oops), putting this bit of RDF in the foaf file
itself would be a lightweight albeit easily fakeable way
of distinguishing who said what when these things are aggregated. This
might be useful for choosing prefered email addresses or photos for
display for example. Also for image annotation RDF files, this is very
handy for picking out the ones made by particular people. Not anywhere
near as good as signing, but still useful....

Given the confusion over the use of dc:creator in both of these
contexts, I think this is a great idea for the html and I'd like to
extend it to the foaf file itself too.

> Technorati are implementing something like this.  They get around not
> knowing who wrote a page by keeping the authorship assertion out of band
> in their own database.
>
> If we were to adopt something like my proposal, we'd need a
> "foaf:maker", which is the inverse of the existing "foaf:made".

which is nice :)

Libby