[rdfweb-dev] foaf site

Agent of Chaos nicole at apocalypse.org
Mon Jul 21 19:32:57 UTC 2003

Hi all, thanks for your thoughts about the site, I've only just found them
yesterday (with dans help) your methods of communicating are as yet a bit
mysterious to me.

I will up the level of priority for fixing details like contrast between
text and background, odd borders, etc.  I wanted to get something to you,
albeit a bit rough,  and had to prioritize packing and plane catching.

The colors are taken from foafnaut which seemed to have the most
integrated design of all the sites I found ... you seem to have more or
less used bright colors in the stuff you've already put out and danbri
asked me to make my ideas gel with what is already out there to avoid the
hassle of people being confused.  I am somewhat wary of starting an
"is-this-aqua-too-blue" discussion, but if I'm presented with something
resembling consensus I'd be glad to implement it.  I can put up a "style
page" to indicate whats already out there, what colors etc I used, and
where they came from... I could also include images etc.  This could be
organizationally helpful.

I love the idea of writing (someone else not me) a series of beginner
articles and content that would be more appropriate to a user site.  This
content would be less likely to be out of date and so make site
maintenance less of a chore.  I will include the three written by edd and
change the "recent articles" to reflect a less technical audience.  If you
have any others in mind that would work well drop me an email.

Dan showed me wired.com to illustrate a design he liked and a site using
mainly stylesheets so this was put together to more or less reflect the
same design sensibilities.  I've heard one objection to the
computery-lines but I tried removing them and thought the site less
polished and, dammit, they're my favorite part. :)  I'd like to try
a few simplifications I have in mind and see what you all think.

The stylesheet is linked the way it is to prevent 4.0 browsers choking on
it.  They just cant see it at all, so the content is undisturbed while
they view an unstyled document.  My primary consideration was that your
audience is unlikely to be using 4.0 browsers anyway so the vast extra
bandwidth to provide them with a pretty page would be wasteful and
non compliant.  wired.com has done the same and had included instructions
on how they can download opera if they'd like to see something sexier.
Something I can add if people think its worthwhile.

I'll play with the page in the next few days and send out some URLs.  If
people have specific ideas feel free to send me mail or at least a link to
where you've discussed it (or i quite likely will never see it).

cheers, nicole

 --

We don't have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in the

"Letting go is just a gesture."
	-David Donovan