[rdfweb-dev] how to say "I Made This!"

Libby Miller Libby.Miller at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jul 21 20:03:29 UTC 2003

hi Danny

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Danny Ayers wrote:

> Looking good, and makes sense, though I'd appreciate a little explanation of
> a couple of points :
>
> Why not dc:creator? Libby's comment suggests this has come up before, and

I think it has to do with the fact that most processors of dc:creator
expect strings not structured content, so to use it consistently with
estabilshed use we would lose all that useful person and mbox etc
substructure.

e.g.
http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/

[[
Examples of Creator include a person, an organization, or a service.
Typically, the name of a Creator should be used to indicate the entity.
]]

http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/

doesn't specify domain or range, so I guess we could have dc:creator
here.

There are people on this list with better knowledge about this than
me...

> it's foaf:made not foaf:created but I can't remember why this was.

hm....not sure about this.

> Do you have a reference (DC somewhere?) for "making it proper"?
>
> <link rel="schema.foaf" href="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1" />
>
> ("schema.foaf" looks strange, though again presumably there's a reason for
> this)

Libby