[rdfweb-dev] Proposal: UsingDublinCoreCreator

Masahide Kanzaki post at kanzaki.com
Thu Jul 24 01:39:03 UTC 2003

Hello,

>My conclusion is somewhat conservative, somewhat radical: to only use
>dc:creator to relate a document to a name of a creator of the document.
>And to use new RDF relations (eg. foaf:maker) when we want to relate a
>document to an agent that created it.

I read through wiki page and agreed with the discussion, but don't think
it's good to 'restrict' dc:creator to name only.

As Dan noted on the wiki, there are many many implementations which use
dc:creator as a container of Agent/People. The change of (or adding new
restriction on) dc:creator syntax will make so many people unhappy.

New foaf:maker property seems good, so why not just encourage to use this
new element, and leave dc:creator as is ?

I want as many people as possible to use metadata/RDF, while feel RDF/XML
is not easy thing for ordinary users. I'm afraid this change would get
people confused, and might keep them away from RDF because suddenly some of
their documents become invalid ... (well, Dan says it goes 'best practice',
i.e. not making them invalid ..?)

This is an information provider's view rather than an implementor's view
which might be expected here. But I think it's worth considering.

cheers,

KANZAKI,Masahide (masaka) - post at kanzaki.com
http://kanzaki.com/info/webwho.rdf