[rdfweb-dev] Proposal: UsingDublinCoreCreator

Ken MacLeod ken at bitsko.slc.ut.us
Tue Jul 22 13:49:15 UTC 2003

Dan Brickley <danbri at w3.org> writes:

> I have written up a proposal in the wiki,
> http://rdfweb.org/topic/UsingDublinCoreCreator

> My conclusion is somewhat conservative, somewhat radical: to only
> use dc:creator to relate a document to a name of a creator of the
> document.  And to use new RDF relations (eg. foaf:maker) when we
> want to relate a document to an agent that created it.

I wasn't following closely enough until you said this.

For this purpose there is MetaVocab, aka RSS mod_admin.  Two relations
it defines are (using the longer descriptions from the mod_admin
module):

xmlns:admin="http://webns.net/mvcb/"

admin:generatorAgent
   <admin:generatorAgent> is a URI of the software that was used to
   generate the RSS/RDF. This is similar to the User-Agent field in
   HTTP or the X-Mailer field in email. It can be used to spot and
   report errors in the generating software and for statistical
   information. The URI should include version information, and if it
   is a resolvable URL should return a user-readable HTML page.

admin:errorReportsTo
   <admin:errorReportsTo> is a URI (typically a 'mailto:' URL) for
   contacting the person or source of the particular instance of
   RSS/RDF information. This would generally be used to report
   technical errors in the use of RSS, RDF, or XML.

RSS 1.0's mod_admin module also has example usage:

  http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/admin/

These are used in many RSS 1.0 feeds and to a degree in RSS 2.0.  If
I'm not misunderstanding the comment[1], they may be about to be
adopted formally for RSS 2.0.

Note: The mod_admin module promotes the use of these with the subject
being the rss:channel, on the basis that the publishing software of
the channel is the also the generator of the RSS instance.  General
usage would be to have the instance itself be the subject.

  -- Ken

[1] http://scriptingnews.userland.com/2003/07/21#threeQuestionsAboutRss