[rdfweb-dev] Fifty Words

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Fri Jul 25 18:59:42 UTC 2003

* Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> [2003-07-25 19:49+0100]
> We have this thing on Ecademy which is 50 words about yourself. (note
> this is 50 individual words not a 50 word sentence) It's a surprisingly
> therapeutic thing to do.
>
> Anyway, we've got lots of this data. I've been wondering if this could
> be usefully dumped into a FOAF file. I've had two suggestions,
> <dc:subject> and <rdf:RDF xmlns:bio="http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/">
> <bio:olb>
>
> Any comments?

Sounds like a nice idea. Do you have some examples, I'm curious...?

re how to represent it, none of the above seem quite right.
dc:subject is typically applied to documents, and bio:olb sets
expectations of a coherent sentence.

Unless I've forgotten a relevant property, sounds like good one to
add to and RDF vocab. Either in a new vocabulary (another namespace URI to
remember) or to FOAF or bio:. I'd be quite happy to see it go into
FOAF (flagged as 'unstable' initially) to see whether it could get
any traction beyond Ecademy. Perhaps the TypePad folk might be
interested in it, for example.

One question: are the '50 words' typically expected to be associated
with one's work persona (Ecademy having a business networking slant,
after all) or are they more informal. I mean, do they tend to be
things like 'Excellence; pragmatism; dilligence, ...' or do people
let their guard down a bit and put more personal/interesting content
there?

Dan