[rdfweb-dev] weblogs and homepages

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Tue Jun 24 22:53:07 UTC 2003

thanks for the writeup! Just a brief reply for now. I think the key to
getting this right is to note that only some Web logs are the foaf:weblog of
a Person; and that a person can contribute to a weblog, yet it not be
'their' foaf:weblog. Same with homepages. Most widespread are those of
people and companies and projects; each is the homepage of something. Also
we  see homepages of couples, of pets, etc. In all these cases, we should
defer to their self-descriptions, ideally. If a page says that it is the
foaf:homepage of a thing that is a wordnet:Couple, or a wordnet:Cat, then so
be it. All the owl:InverseFunctionalProperty tells us is that all homepages
are the homepage of _something_. Same with weblogs.

We have a similar issue with documenting foaf:mbox and its use. A common
reply (at least earlier in FOAF's history) was "hey, what about shared
mailboxes"? Now for foaf:mbox if I remember right we took a slightly
different design, and said 'not all mailboxes are foaf:mbox-es, but those that
are, will be the foaf:mbox of a single Person'. With homepage, we allow more
kinds of thing to have a homepage.

We could have gone the other way and allowed company to have a foaf:mbox,
while reading foaf:homepage as if it meant 'human's personal homepage'. I think
current practice shadows the way these things are used in real life, but yeah
they could certainly be more clearly documented.

This does also show I think that using OWL forces us to clean up our
act with the documentation, as it makes inclarities clear, and confusions more
easy to spot.

cheers,

Dan

* Morten Frederiksen <mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk> [2003-06-25 00:40+0200]