[rdfweb-dev] Names In FOAF

Ian Davis iand at internetalchemy.org
Thu Apr 7 13:37:15 UTC 2005

On 06/04/2005 16:20, Dan Brickley wrote:
> I like this proposal. It might be worth complicating it a
> little more, to allow for names to be written using markup
> (this would unfortunately double the number of properties).
> I believe this is needed sometimes for Japanese names (ruby
> annotation markup), though I don't have a reference to hand.

I Googled for ruby annotation markup and found:

http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/
"'Ruby' are short runs of text alongside the base text, typically used
in East Asian documents to indicate pronunciation or to provide a short
annotation. This specification defines markup for ruby, in the form of
an XHTML module"

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're suggesting - it could be
structure within the property values or peer properties providing the
ruby markup or something else :)

I'd liek to see something simple and useful go into FOAF and extend it
elsewhere.

> cheers,
>
> Dan

Ian