[rdfweb-dev] FOAF without email/sha?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Apr 11 00:05:23 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 06:04:27AM +0700, Hendy Irawan wrote:
> Wow... thanks for the responses...! :-)
>
> How about a more natural FOAF? (nFOAF?)
> Traditionally people have referred to another using.... (surprise!) names?
> Of course this is very ambiguous, so maybe little side-data helps,
> like my mother in my first example, I could write something like (in
> natural language):
>
> Amy (mother of Hendy Irawan)
>
> such "query" would be expressable using FOAF, but the the final
> interpretation and the results would be up to the backend.

This is already possible: for example, if you're looking to find out who
I'm the "parentOf", you can just ask:

< crschmidt> ^q select ?n where (?p foaf:name "Christopher Schmidt")
             (?p rel:parentOf ?kid) (?kid foaf:name ?n)
< julie>  Julie, Alicia

You could also ask for more information from the store: who is the
parent of Christopher Schmidt, etc.

So, I'm not sure what you want to describe that you don't feel
comfortable doing with the Relationship ontology[1].

[1] http://purl.org/vocab/relationship/

--
Christopher Schmidt