[rdfweb-dev] FOAF without email/sha?

Hendy Irawan gauldong at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 23:04:27 UTC 2005

Wow... thanks for the responses...! :-)

How about a more natural FOAF? (nFOAF?)
Traditionally people have referred to another using.... (surprise!) names?
Of course this is very ambiguous, so maybe little side-data helps,
like my mother in my first example, I could write something like (in
natural language):

Amy (mother of Hendy Irawan)

such "query" would be expressable using FOAF, but the the final
interpretation and the results would be up to the backend.

I suppose that a simple query like that shouldn't be too ambiguous,
assuming that the database is "complete" (i.e. record for Amy does
contain a reference to me, or a record of me contains a reference to
someone named Amy) and not every Amy has a son named Hendy Irawan.

I appreciate FOAF for being "strict" and accurate, as this is
definitely the goal... but I guess  some ambiguety helps. Referring to
"Bill Gates" by name would definitely list several hundred matches,
but humans know what this reference actually means, so why don't
computers do? If that's too ambiguous, something like "Bill Gates
(filthy rich guy)" or "Bill Gates (former Micro$oft employee)" should
also work, shouldn't it...?

Thanks for all your ideas... I'd appreciate more, though :-)
--
Hendy Irawan
http://www.gauldong.net