[foaf-dev] for more information please log in

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Sun Jan 13 20:01:06 GMT 2008

Story Henry wrote:

> If a foaf file is to return different representations depending on
> the  authentication level of the person looking at it, there needs to
> be  some way for the foaf file to say that. Something like: for a
> larger  view you may want to log in there: http://...
>
> Any thoughts on this?

I don't think this has anything to do with the FOAF itself, but rather
with the functionality of the hosting provider serving the FOAF.

I would expect the hosting provider to provide an OpenID login, where
you can specify your OpenID and the person who owns the profile can set
rights for your OpenID associated with the content of the FOAF (assuming
that the hosting provider offers such functionality).

One implementation could look like

<foaf:phone rdf:resource="tel:+41-44-272-91-61">
  <s:policy xmlns:s="http://www.wyona.org/security/1.0">
    <s:usecase id="view">
      <s:user openid="http://bblfish.videntity.org/" permission="true"/>
      <s:user id="socrates" permission="true"/>
      <s:user id="aristotle" permission="true"/>
    </s:usecase>
  </s:policy>
</foaf:phone>

whereas as said this hosting provider specific implementation.

Btw, how should one handle multiple openid, e.g. your FOAF contains

<nick>bblfish</nick>
        <openid rdf:resource="http://bblfish.videntity.org/"/>
        <openid rdf:resource="http://openid.sun.com/bblfish"/>

?

One could also image that the FOAF URL is used as login input and the
server application is then looking up the OpenID from the FOAF ...

Cheers

Michael