[foaf-dev] for more information please log in

Axel Polleres axel.polleres at deri.org
Sun Jan 13 20:57:36 GMT 2008

Dan, all

We had some similar ideas in the ExpertFinder group where we tried to
colect some possile early adopter use cases for FOAF enabled with skills
and other information:

http://wiki.foaf-project.org/ExpertFinderUseCases

I completely share the view that such mechanisms to protect publicly
published metadata need to be in place... without such mechanisms it is
also fairly uninteresting for commercial entities to move from their
current web publication practices to RDF... these are usually not that
keen on making their data integrateable for anybody.

best,
Axel

Dan Brickley wrote:
> +cc timbl
>
> Story Henry wrote:
>> If a foaf file is to return different representations depending on the
>> authentication level of the person looking at it, there needs to be
>> some way for the foaf file to say that. Something like: for a larger
>> view you may want to log in there: http://...
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Is this FOAF specific? Or just a general thing with authenticated views
> of Web sites.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/danbri/ is my Flickr photostream (and
> hopefully soon an :openid for me too). When I'm authenticated it offers
> me more information than you'll see (and more action possibilities).
> Some of that extra info might be linked versus embedded, some might be
> in HTML (or RDFa or microformat).
>
> Relatedly I was discussing with TimBL a bit lately the issue of how
> different the representations of a document can get, before you really
> ought to be using different URIs. This came out of practical questions
> around Tabulator behaviour, since Tabulator rigs your browser to say
> "hey, gimme the RDF version", meaning you miss out on seeing HTML
> documents that are content-negotiated with RDF variants. Tim argued that
> the HTML and RDF ought to be available from different URIs. Perhaps
> there's some common 'best practice' here re authenticated views of pages
> too. Or as you suggest, just need for a bit of vocab to describe the
> various deployment idioms that are already out there.
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan
>
> --
> [ :openid <http://danbri.org/>; :weblog <http://danbri.org/words/> ]

Dr. Axel Polleres
email: axel at polleres.net  url: http://www.polleres.net/

rdf:Resource owl:differentFrom xsd:anyURI .