[foaf-dev] Time to make the foaf classes relate to Dublin Core classes?

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Wed Jan 23 07:44:23 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 23 January 2008, KANZAKI Masahide wrote:
> The dcterms:AgentClass is designed as domains of dcterms:audience,
> dcterms:mediator and dcterms:educationLevel. So it could be generic
> students, women, charities, lecturers etc (a class of Agents), but
> basically not a specific group (e.g. FOAF Project).

I think foaf:Group can encompass such ad hoc classes of people, as the
spec further says "This concept is intentionally quite broad, covering
informal and ad-hoc groups, long-lived communities, organizational
groups within a workplace, etc. "

Also, there is foaf:Organization, which can be used for more
institutionalized groups, which is a subclass of foaf:Group.

I would think it is possible to write a text, where the audience are
members of a specific foaf:Organization, in fact, I've written many
such texts, the ezine of my skiing club often has humour that is quite
uninteresting for the uninitiated. :-) So, I don't think
dcterms:AgentClass is disjoint with foaf:Organization either?

foaf:Group and dcterms:AgentClass are probably not equivalent, but I
think that they do overlap considerably in some way, so perhaps a
reciprocal subclass the correct thing to do. Though, the idea of a
reciprocal subclass got me somewhat confused, envisioning a Venn
diagram, does that mean that they partly but not entirely overlap?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer
kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Homepage: http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/     OpenPGP KeyID: 6A6A0BBC