[foaf-dev] Time to make the foaf classes relate to Dublin Core classes?

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Wed Jan 23 14:14:58 GMT 2008

On 23 Jan 2008, at 11:13, Dan Brickley wrote:
> This, I must say, is an under-used corner of FOAF. It was intended as
> a way to allow a group's membership criteria to be defined in terms of
> arbitrary properties, in a machine-readable way. But it hasn't been
> much explored yet. Recently I've been exploring the idea of using
> SPARQL here instead, with a custom SPARQL query associated with the
> Group description being used as a way to indicate group-membership.
> This is an area where RIF, OWL and SPARQL overlap somewhat. Although
> ideally SPARQL isn't the right technology here, I think it has
> potential worth exploring. And in fact the queries could be generated
> from simple OWL definitions, so it could be made compatible with the
> earlier approach (if people care).
>
> Some related notes here: http://danbri.org/words/2008/01/22/260

It would come especially useful for the functionality proposed in the
thread
"for more information please log in..."
http://lists.usefulinc.com/pipermail/foaf-dev/2008-January/008820.html

So in  a file containing the following:

<public> rdfs:seeAlso <protected> .
<protected> readableBy :myFamily .

we need a way to define :family in such a way that someone who is a
family member has a good chance of recognising himself as a member of
this group, and so of finding it useful to attempt to get the
<protected> resource.

One could do that by defining classes via owl restrictions I suppose.
Would that be enough? I'll look into it at a later point.

Henry