[foaf-dev] dc:creator vs foaf:maker

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Sun Mar 9 19:41:40 GMT 2008

Axel:

I got frustrated with the topic you introduced, as I went to some trouble t=
o try and understand the issue you raised : starting with FOAF as-is. I nev=
er really got far enough into the topic to really understanding your sugges=
tion, given your hint about updates in Dublin Core.  I cannot (practically)=
 understand the FOAF document as it is currently stands (which is my lack o=
f basic expertise in core techniques, clearly).
1. I captured Henry Story's foaf file, as rdf/xml. I cleaned it up to remov=
e the non American characters from his friends names. This allowed to me vi=
ew his published resources, with the tool's owl reasoning engine turned on.

2. Reading your email's citations properly took me to the FOAF spec - and t=
o its textual description of the concepts of agents, persons, and makers.
maker - An agent that made this thing. =

Status:stable
Domain:http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Thing
Range:foaf:Agent

The foaf:maker property relates something to a foaf:Agent that foaf:made it=
. As such it is an inverse of the foaf:made property. =

The foaf:name (or other rdfs:label) of the foaf:maker of something can be d=
escribed as the dc:creator of that thing.
For example, if the thing named by the URI http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/=
 has a foaf:maker that is a foaf:Person whose foaf:name is 'Dan Brickley', =
we can conclude that http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/ has a dc:creator of '=
Dan Brickley'. =

3. Aha! we have a nice example of owl being (simplistically) useful, I said=
 to myself, noting the domain of the property is owl:Thing and a defined ag=
ent notion is properly and intuitively responsible for making this particul=
ar type of "document". This will allow me to conclude (from last quoted par=
agraph) dc:creator from foaf:maker is some "creating" individual in practic=
e, distinguished from the declared agent that "makes it". =

4 So, I imported the foaf ontology into the dataset to start reasoning with=
 foaf rules. Lots of additional inferences duly occurred. However, inferenc=
es about foaf:maker and dc:creator were not among them, in the individual f=
oaf:PersonalProfileDocument.

5. On the foaf:maker property decryption itself, only rdfs:sameAs <uri> was=
 usefully inferred
OK. We are back to 'Peter is just too dumb' for the SemWeb. The fact that c=
onclusion are dc:creator are discussed in the foaf standard , does NOT mean=
 that a tool using the rules in the foaf ontology's rdf file will ACTUALLY =
cause a machine to make the discussed inference/conclusion. Sigh. =

Perhaps after all I'm really not that dumb. A more valid conclusion could b=
e : its really hard to tell what is settled in FOAF - vs. what is ongoing b=
asic research.

Then I read http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-dev/2003-August/00=
5657.html (2003 era)

At that point, I decided I'd really had enough of the topic of maker and cr=
eator. =

Peter.