[foaf-dev] Re: Social Networks that use FOAF

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Mon Mar 24 21:56:38 GMT 2008

Sören Auer wrote:

> > Guess what. Tribe.net turned off FOAF completely.
>
> To me it is pretty obvious why (larger) social networks are not very
> interested in FOAF - they are evaluated, gain users and (advertising)
> revenues by page views and consequently are not eager to give out the
> data e.g. as FOAF.
>
> If we want to increase the popularity of FOAF we should focus on
> increasing FOAF support in Web apps (such as Drupal, Typos3, Lifetype,
> PhpBB etc.), which drive the Web today.

very much agreed

AFAIK Drupal 7 will focuse very much on RDF as Yanel does. We just
recently implemented a resource to import/index FOAF files from a
directory (which have been dumped there before)

http://foaf.wyona.org/en/importing-foaf-files.html

which should allow people to dump/import FOAF files easily if needed,
whereas we actually encourage to leave the FOAF where it is and one can
make it searchable on remote third-party servers by adding a custom
search results parser

http://foaf.wyona.org/en/custom-search-results-parser.html

> Most of you have probably seen it already, but I want to point again
> on Triplify [1], which is a small plugin for Web applications, which
> reveals the content of a relational DB backend as RDF, JSON and Linked
> Data. The Triplify configurations for Wordpress, WackoWiki and Drupal
> already heavily use FOAF ;-)

Is there any publicly available samples of a triplified web-application?

Thanks

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
michael.wechner at wyona.com, michi at apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61