[foaf-dev] Re: Social Networks that use FOAF

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Tue Mar 25 18:22:07 GMT 2008

Story Henry wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2008, at 13:12, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Phillip,
>>
>> Please take a look at how ODS deals with these matters.
>>
>> Example instances:
>> - http://community.linkeddata.org/ods
>> - http://myopenlink.net:8890/ods
>>
>> My FOAF based profile page:
>> http://community.linkeddata.org/dataspace/person/kidehen2
>>
>> If you go to the Profile page (should you register) you will notice
>> that users have control over the visibility (public, friends,
>> private) over FOAF properties. This has been so since day one (a long
>> time ago). You can even use OAuth to provide access to specific data
>> spaces.
>
> Hi Kingsley,
>
>     That is really nice. What you have is a way to specify for your
> foaf file via a web interface which properties are visible to which of
> three selected groups: public, friends, private.  Is the  friends
> group you mention, the subset of your friends who have an account on
> ODS? Or does it extend to any friend you link to in your foaf file,
> whatever the domain of their URL?
Friends in ODS. But note that ODS accounts all have synonyms slots that
link outwards to other ODS user identity URIs via owl:sameAs. We also
have OAuth support, but the current implementation is scoped to ODS
application instance data access. We could extend this to profile data.

> What I am not clear about is how a Semantic Web client, such as
> Beatnik [1], can know that it needs to login using openid in order to
> get more information on a foaf file.
The FOAF information resource in our case resides in WebDAV so our ACL
settings would result in an authentication challenge. What I need to
verify is if this challenge accepts OpenID and/or  ODS credentials
(which are WebDAV based).
> I think this needs to be expressed in the foaf file too in a standard
> manner to make it machine readable.
Yes, that would be most flexible .

--

Regards,