[foaf-dev] Re: Social Networks that use FOAF

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 04:39:34 GMT 2008

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Dom Ramsey wrote:
> if FOAF is catching up and various webapp providers (as S=F6ren is =

> pointing out) are using FOAF in the background to exchange information =

> (of course on the user's permission), then the user will profit a lot =

> (without actually knowing that FOAF is being used)

The value I see in FOAF is for federating social networks and doing this
exact sort of data sharing.  But it absolutely must be under the user's =

control and the user must be able to control what information can
flow "outwards."

Agree with the earlier comment though, it isn't in the best interests of
the "big players" to enable this sort of stuff right now. Heck, Facebook =

only began putting the content of "facebook messages" into the email =

they send you to tell you that you have a new message.  Obviously they =

are reluctant to do anything that helps users avoid the need to go to
their site and generate ad impressions.

TTYL,

-- =

Phillip Rhodes