[foaf-dev] Re: Social Networks that use FOAF

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Tue Mar 25 08:20:16 GMT 2008

Phillip Rhodes wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Dom Ramsey wrote:
>> if FOAF is catching up and various webapp providers (as Sören is
>> pointing out) are using FOAF in the background to exchange
>> information (of course on the user's permission), then the user will
>> profit a lot (without actually knowing that FOAF is being used)
>>

> The value I see in FOAF is for federating social networks and doing this
> exact sort of data sharing.  But it absolutely must be under the
> user's control and the user must be able to control what information can
> flow "outwards."

exactly (this is why we have defined the third law of social networks:
http://foaf.wyona.org/about.html)

But the Bob -> Alice -> Charles (and Charles is not a friend of Bob) is
opening up quite some access holes!

> Agree with the earlier comment though, it isn't in the best interests of
> the "big players" to enable this sort of stuff right now. Heck,
> Facebook only began putting the content of "facebook messages" into
> the email they send you to tell you that you have a new message.
> Obviously they are reluctant to do anything that helps users avoid the
> need to go to
> their site and generate ad impressions.

I think it's a matter of time. If we start using decentralized server
software and people have a real incentive to switch and a large enough
market share is being taken from the big fours, then they will have to
open up.

Cheers

Michael