[foaf-dev] Re: Social Networks that use FOAF

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 08:52:37 GMT 2008

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> =

>> Story Henry wrote:
> yes, but I am not sure if this requires a standard, because it seems to =

> me rather an implementation specific thing. For instance we do this as =

> follows

Yeah, expressing the policies might not require a spec, because that =

information is just contained on the domain which is processing a =

request for information.  What is needed is a way to canonicalize =

identities, and things like OpenID and SAML give us this.  So if
I'm running a server at social.example.com and exposing FOAF data,
all I need is a way for my user to say

"bob, who is identified by openid.example.com/bob, can access this
data" etc.  But this may still leave some issues, such as spoofed
OpenID servers.  "only as secure as DNS" and all that jazz..  Maybe
in a federated scenario it might be necessary to establish trust between
the identify providers using certificates or something.

> =

> But what I could image would make sense is if Bob trusts Alice and hence =

> passes her his phone number, but wants to tell Alice not to pass this =

> information to anyone else and for this one would need some standard.
> =

> Is this the usecase which you had in mind?

More or less, yes.

> =

> =

> is there some existing spec?
> =

There are all sorts of specs, that's what one has to love about the
Internet. :-)  Seriously though, there are some specs that touch on
some of this stuff.  WS-Federation and some of it's "friends" get
into this space at least somewhat, I just haven't had time to sit down
and read that mountain of specs and see what exactly is applicable.
That is on my TODO list though... :-)

TTYL,

-- =

Phillip Rhodes