[foaf-dev] Re: Social Networks that use FOAF

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Tue Mar 25 08:16:28 GMT 2008

Phillip Rhodes wrote:

> Story Henry wrote:
>
>> To me it is quite clear why foaf is extreemly useful. I believe the
>> privacy issues can be dealt with quite simply with openid.
>

> OpenID by itself isn't enough, there has to be some way to specify
> policy around the info expressed in the FOAF.  Eg, maybe Susy can see
> subset X of my "social graph" while Bob can see subset Y and Dave
> can see anything.

yes, but I am not sure if this requires a standard, because it seems to
me rather an implementation specific thing. For instance we do this as
follows

<foaf:phone rdf:resource="tel:+41-44-272-91-61">
  <s:policy xmlns:s="http://www.wyona.org/security/1.0">
    <s:usecase id="view">
      <s:user id="plato" permission="true"/>
      <s:user id="socrates" permission="true"/>
      <s:user id="aristotle" permission="true"/>
    </s:usecase>
  </s:policy>
</foaf:phone>

which means only plato, socrates and aristotle can see my phone number
or rather the Yanel webapp will only make this available to these users
listed within the policy

I am not sure if you actually want to pass this information to your
"trusted" friends, because maybe they won't use it properly.

But what I could image would make sense is if Bob trusts Alice and hence
passes her his phone number, but wants to tell Alice not to pass this
information to anyone else and for this one would need some standard.

Is this the usecase which you had in mind?

> FWIW, working up a way to express and control that kind of "policy
> stuff" is an explicit goal for OpenQabal.  I'm not far enough long
> yet to have done any actual coding around that, but some ideas
> are percolating in my mind.  Would be interested to see what
> you lot think about how to deal with this point...

is there some existing spec?

Thanks

Michael