[foaf-dev] Discovery, ID and FOAF

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 12:46:15 GMT 2008

I really need to get some sleep, but I wanted to throw this question
out real quick... is anybody here aware of any research on the topic of, =

or has anybody thought much about, Discovery and how it related
to FOAF and digital identity?

What I mean is, if I have a single piece of identifying
information (a URI/URL) for a user, that serves as their
identity (maybed I got it from someone else's FOAF), is
there any standard discovery mechanism to go from that
URI/URL to that entity's own FOAF description (if one
exists)?  If not, does anybody see any value in trying to
come up with a standard way to address this?

It seems as though this problem would largely fall with the
identity providers (OpenID provider, SAML provider, whoever), does that
sound right to you guys?  Eg, if I know an identity is

openid.example.com/mindcrime, I should be able to find the
user's FOAF by asking the identity provider at example.com
"where do I find this user's detailed profile information?"

If that provider were a social network AND an identity
provider, I could imagine a scenario where it might be
as simple as:

openid.example.com/mindcrime/foaf
or
foaf.example.com/mindcrime

or something.

Anyway, just a dicussion I've been meaning to get into for a while...
all thoughts, rants, etc. appreciated.  :-)

TTYL,

-- =

Phillip Rhodes
Chief Architect - OpenQabal