[foaf-dev] Discovery, ID and FOAF

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Tue Mar 25 13:04:29 GMT 2008

On 25 Mar 2008, at 13:46, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> I really need to get some sleep, but I wanted to throw this question
> out real quick... is anybody here aware of any research on the topic
> of, or has anybody thought much about, Discovery and how it related
> to FOAF and digital identity?
>
> What I mean is, if I have a single piece of identifying
> information (a URI/URL) for a user, that serves as their
> identity (maybed I got it from someone else's FOAF), is
> there any standard discovery mechanism to go from that
> URI/URL to that entity's own FOAF description (if one
> exists)?  If not, does anybody see any value in trying to
> come up with a standard way to address this?

It depends what info you have. If the user has a foaf id

http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/i_have_a_foaf_file

then you just HTTP GET that URL.
If you have an openid, then it would be dead easy for the openid web
page to point to the foaf

as I describe here

http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/foaf_openid

If you have an email, then of course things are more difficult. You
could ask an rdf search engine
like sindice

http://www.sindice.com/

or any other number of ways.

One way would be to keep aggregating triples and using simple inverse
functional reasoning on foaf:mbox
find out somewhere else that information

Page on friends.com may contain

[] foaf:name "Henry Story"
    foaf:mbox <mailto:henry.story at bblfish.net> .

friends of joe.com may contain