[foaf-dev] Re: Oauth

Anthony Steele anthony.steele13 at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 26 12:36:33 GMT 2008

On 25.03.2008 17:59:33, Julian Bond wrote:
>I feel like I'm missing something here. oAuth was built specifically to
>enable non-browser agents and non-UI applications to have good
>authentication. And it feels like you're re-inventing oAuth. And I'm not
>sure why.

I've read a biy on oAuth now, and while I think there's a lot of good ideas in it that I can use to conditionally protect foaf data, it doesn't seem to be designed to addres the scenario that I had in mind.

from http://oauth.net/core/1.0/

Definitions:

Service Provider:
    A web application that allows access via OAuth.
User:
    An individual who has an account with the Service Provider.
Consumer:
    A website or application that uses OAuth to access the Service Provider on behalf of the User.

The problem is that if I want to access your foaf data on server A, this states that I need an account on server A.
I don't want that, not requiring such an account is the basic problem hat I have turned to openId et all in order to get away from.

Perhaps I will just ignore that requirement, and allow openAuth tokens to be issued to anyone who appears in a friends list.

Thanks
Anthony