[foaf-dev] Re: Oauth

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Wed Mar 26 12:45:03 GMT 2008

Anthony,
> On 25.03.2008 17:59:33, Julian Bond wrote:
>
>> I feel like I'm missing something here. oAuth was built specifically to
>> enable non-browser agents and non-UI applications to have good
>> authentication. And it feels like you're re-inventing oAuth. And I'm not
>> sure why.
>>

> I've read a biy on oAuth now, and while I think there's a lot of good ideas in it that I can use to conditionally protect foaf data, it doesn't seem to be designed to addres the scenario that I had in mind.
>
> from http://oauth.net/core/1.0/
>
> Definitions:
>
> Service Provider:
>     A web application that allows access via OAuth.
> User:
>     An individual who has an account with the Service Provider.
> Consumer:
>     A website or application that uses OAuth to access the Service Provider on behalf of the User.
>
> The problem is that if I want to access your foaf data on server A, this states that I need an account on server A.
> I don't want that, not requiring such an account is the basic problem hat I have turned to openId et all in order to get away from.
>
> Perhaps I will just ignore that requirement, and allow openAuth tokens to be issued to anyone who appears in a friends list.

You always need an account of sorts on the server. OpenID takes away the
need to re-register each time you encounter a new hosted service /
application.
You could auto-register with a service via OpenID, and then  you have
the option to share data from  Data Spaces hosted via the service using
OAuth. This is exactly what happens in our OpenLink Data Spaces (ODS)
application[1].

Links:

1. http://community.linkeddata.org/ods/index.html (*a live instance*)

Kingsley