[foaf-dev] Fwd: [Social] [Fwd: [Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0235 (Authorization Tokens)]

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Thu Mar 27 20:20:35 GMT 2008

There is definitely some traction on the jabber front. Even in my slow upta=
ke space (ultra conservative US realty with lots of legacy pub/sub), we hav=
e a request for hookup between a jabber-based id/authN/authZ service and ou=
r target websites (which are both HTTP data sources and HTTP website ). Som=
eone already built a websso gateway between the jabber world and opensso se=
rver, allowing some of the jabber-world tokens to be translated.

SPARQL over XMPP is very exciting, with security. I already websso-enabled =
our SPARQL server, for ws-federation, openid and saml. It would be practica=
l to gateway SPARQL over XMPP to SPARQL over HTTP, where the gateway transl=
ates the security tokens used on each side's bearer. =

Much like WAP gateways eventually became superflous in the phone access wor=
ld, security token gateways will surely eventually go away, once the securi=
ty token wars end. For now, its token-proliferation time - as folks add "bu=
siness controls" to semweb data sources.