[rdfweb-dev] Friendster

Danny Ayers danny666 at v...
Wed Dec 18 17:04:43 UTC 2002

>> But what about something slightly less intrusive, such as a simple
>> application that notified an existing FOAF publisher that someone else
>> had nominated them as a friend and would they like to reciprocate?
>
>Not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm intending to add a "Notify
>Friends" feature to the FOAF-a-Matic Mark 2 which will allow you to
>email those people you're listing as friends to let them know that
>
>a. you're created a FOAF description, and
>b. you've listed them

My jaw fell open when I saw Jame's reference to viral marketing(/spamming),
but put in as above it does actually sound a very good idea. The only thing
that would bother me is others creating a similar system, but with an ugly
payload ("Reduce your bandwidth with HGH!") - though I guess that's entirely
out of our hands.

Has anyone made much progress with backend systems for this stuff? To be
able to poke the FOAF-a-Matic direct into a (distributed) repository would
be nice. Perhaps a short-term solution would be to make a query on a Wiki
using the (Wikified) person's name, and inserting as a new page.

>Hoping to get beta-1 of FOAF-a-Matic Mark 2 (which won't include this,
>just basic FOAF editing and export; import, etc to follow) out the door by
>Friday.

Great! That's my Xmas presents sorted out!!

Cheers,
Danny.