Welcome, and some comments (was RE: [rdfweb-dev] hey)

Leigh Dodds ldodds at ingenta.com
Thu Jul 3 14:45:36 UTC 2003

Marc,

The main thing that troubles me about your email is that you seem have
this impression that we're all here with our head in the sands ignoring
the difficulties that users are having with FOAF.

And thats not the case at all.

We're actively working to improve the FOAF documentation and tools
all the time. Thanks to volunteer efforts the FOAF-a-Matic is now available
in 8 languages (and I'm looking for more). I count that as a great step forward as
it opens FOAF up to a vast amount of new users. At the time of writing that tool is
the 1st Google hit for a search of "FOAF"; pretty hard to miss I'd say.

Dan is improving the weblog all the time, and the Wiki is being restructured
to improve the documentation. W.r.t support this community is about as
"wired" as it could be with a weblog, wiki, mailing list, IRC and even the
occasional F2F meeting. Again we're all here to help.

Jay's problems, which he largely attributes to cut-and-paste errors when
cribbing from other peoples FOAF documents, are unfortunate but the
good news is is that he was able to find help pretty quickly. Yes, the
creation tools should support more of the FOAF vocabulary than they do
now, but surely its far better to have them supporting the core stable
set of FOAF properties than rushing to add everything in one go? Jays
overall impression was a positive one.

We've begun discussing how to label the stable elements in FOAF so that
can be clearly passed on to both users, and more importantly, tool creators.

Re: interop between the different tools; where do you think that there are
break downs between FOAF-a-Matic, FOAF Explorer and FOAFnaut? If
you're (or somewhere you're linked with is) on the FOAFBulletinBoard then FOAFnaut
should pick you up. If you have FOAF autodiscovery set up then FOAFExplorer can
read your FOAF with the bookmarklet. If the instructions for what to do with the FOAF
you generate with the FOAF-a-Matic aren't clear enough then _please_ let me know
the problem areas and I'll improve it.

So I think everything you asked for is currently in-progress already. If its not
happening fast enough then perhaps you can pitch in and help out? The
Wiki is open for everyone to edit, so why not help bring the documentation
quality up a notch by wading in there?

Cheers,

L. (speaking only for himself)

p.s. I find it amusing that you use Typepad as an example of why FOAF needs
commercial support, when that product is a service piggy-backing off an
open source tool thats has benefited greatly from community involvement
and development.