[rdfweb-dev] FOAF-a-matic mk2

Leigh Dodds ldodds at ingenta.com
Tue Jun 3 13:09:09 UTC 2003

Hi Phil,

I think something funky happened with my spam filtering somewhere
(I've been inundated recently) -- I don't remember seeing the email.
Apologies for you being left hanging.

I've no problem with you tinkering with the code, as I consider it to
be public domain so use it as you will.

To be honest I got side tracked with refactoring the code to generalise
some of my thinlet utility code, integrating Jena (decided not to use ARP),
and also began playing with a XUL based user interface instead of thinlets.

The Jena integration meant that I was able to throw out a whole chunk
of my code (particularly for dumping the model) so things became a lot
simpler.

I also got side-tracked with trying to devise a way to handle unknown
properties when loading an existing FOAF file: I didn't feel that it was
right to just throw out unknown properties, but also couldn't decide on
a good way to show them in the UI. Of course you can always show
a text entry field, but thats not very useful in cases like airport codes
where you want a picklist. I'd been pondering whether annotating a FOAF
schema with display oriented properties might be a useful approach.

Oh, and the other extension I made was to add a simple HTTP listener
that can be started alongside the app. This would allow integration with
bookmarklets that would use FOAF auto-discovery to find your friends
file from their blog home page, and then direct the FOAF-a-Matic to
add them as a friend. I was planning to have a version of the tool that
run only in this mode (i.e. no UI at all).

I'm just downloading your revised version now and will take a look --
perhaps we can merge them?

Apologies again for you having been left hanging :(

Cheers,

L.