[rdfweb-dev] FOAF Japanese introduction

Ian Davis iand at internetalchemy.org
Wed Jun 4 12:47:27 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, 03 June 2003 at 10:49, Graham Klyne wrote:
> If you wanted to introduce an abstraction for your name (e.g., the spoken
> form that you recognize), which may be represented by different strings in
> different language scripts, then maybe a different property would be needed

> ...snip...

> I don't think there's a right and wrong way here, and others may have
> different views...

Not sure that xml:lang is the right construct here. Is my name
different in French or Hindi? An extension of the above ideas could be
the introduction of a foaf:phoneticName property. This could contain
characters using the international phonetic alphabet.

IPA chart:
http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/gifs/ipachart.gif

IPA in Unicode:
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-unicode.htm

I believe this is how you'd write Ian, though it's a complete guess on
my part:

<foaf:phoneticName>&#x026A;&#x00E6;n</foaf:phoneticName>

- Ian <iand at internetalchemy.org>
"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow."