[rdfweb-dev] ANNOUNCE: 2 new FOAF-related lists, foafcorp-dev, foafnaut-dev

Dan Brickley danbri at rdfweb.org
Sun Jun 22 16:14:25 UTC 2003

Hi all

I've just created two new application-oriented developer lists, for FOAFCorp
(the extension of FOAF to describe company-related data) and FOAFNaut, the
SVG/javascript application. See the 'list info' links at end of this mail
for instructions on how to subscribe (there is a digest version, web archives,
RSS feed etc).

Both lists are for developer efforts, but at a level reasonably removed from
the tech detail we go into on rdfweb-dev. They are also, inevitably, related.
Dean's early foafcorp SVG browser took FOAF data I'd made and rendered it
graphically (as fatcats, see http://www.grorg.org/2002/10/foafcorp/ :) in a
theyrule.net-inspired interactive interface. This code, in turn, was the basis
for FOAFNaut, which Jim Ley, Liz Turner and others have been collaborating on
over the last year. http://www.foafnaut.org/ has some links to that work,
and some snapshots we made of Jim's site that are in a web-browsable CVS
repository on the rdfweb.org server.

There are lots of ideas floating around in mostly unarchived email,
and also irc, wiki etc for extensions to the FOAFCorp vocab, and similarly for
ways of progressing the FOAFNaut application. Too many ideas to keep track of,
hence these new lists.

In terms of scoping discussions, things will inevitable overlap, but the
basic idea is for rdfweb-dev to continue as the main FOAF list, and for
the new lists to have a fairly tight focus:

 * rdfweb-dev: general FOAF and related developer discussions

 * foafcorp-dev: extending foaf to better describe companies; primarily
      a vocabulary and dataset oriented effort.

 * foafnaut-dev: all about the app called 'foafnaut' which visualises and
      navigates FOAF, is currently implemented in SVG and Javascript.

(they are called -dev in the vain conceit that we may someday have
 need for some -users lists ;)

All of these lists are managed through the same mailman installation
on the rdfweb server, and show up as @vapours.rdfweb.org addresses.

Anyone is welcome to join. The default language for these lists is
English, but contributions in any language are welcome.

I'll forward this message to the new lists separately, and wait a little
while for bugs and admin issues, subscriptions etc. before getting things
kicked off with actual discussions.

For those who can't bear to join yet another mailing list, I have
fixed (hopefully) the mailman RSS patch[1], so we should have RSS feeds for
all the lists I host now. They are all also archived online. Details:

FOAF developer discussions:
	to post: 	mailto:rdfweb-dev at vapours.rdfweb.org
	rss feed:	http://rdfweb.org/pipermail/rdfweb-dev/rss.xml
	wiki:		http://rdfweb.org/topic/FoafProject