[foaf-dev] Time to make the foaf classes relate to Dublin Core classes?

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Wed Jan 23 13:12:03 GMT 2008

Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> On ons, 2008-01-23 at 10:13 +0000, Dan Brickley wrote:
>>  So my thinking is that we'll have local aggregations of RDF
>> from blogs, FOAF, converted XFN, etc. And on top of that, merge in
>> some private data (eg. people you've met at conferences, addressbooks,
>> family tree data, private XFN claims), with foaf:Group definitions
>> applied on top of this aggregation and used to provide custom views
>> into the offerings of things like Twitter and Flickr, where people are
>> currently feeling overwhelmed due to the difficulty of providing more
>> filtered, nuanced views of the activity streams of their 100s of
>> "friends".
>>
>> Am I making any sense here?
>

> Yes!
>
> I'd love an application that could help me manage query-defined groups
> of contacts, also temporary ones.

Let's try to get this built then!

> i think the membershipClass idea is potentially a powerful one.

I agree btw re range being dct:AgentClass. Good point.

> An additional comment - dcterms:AgentClass is in my mind completely
> disjoint from Agent. OTOH, a foaf:Group is also an Agent, so that makes
> a third argument why the two classes are different.

Agents are things that can act. A group of people can act together. That
was my thinking anyway. This stuff does get fiddly to think about for
sure, especially when Project and Organization are floating around too.
We don't currently model either of those as agents. Some of these
decisions are a bit arbitrary, but then that's modelling: creating a
simpler cartoon universe.

BTW I began an overview diagram of FOAF classes and properties, to
include in the spec. It is even a clickable imagemap, but I have a
problem - I need to resize it to fit in the spec, and haven't found an
imagemap tool that does that on my mac. Maybe I need to cross the room
to use the Windows machine :) In the meantime, here is the work in
progress. It should hopefully help a bit to get an overview (note also
some DCMI properties over on the right hand side).

http://danbri.org/2008/foafspec/map-foafspec.html

cheers,

Dan