[foaf-dev] foaf:expertise or expert/namespace

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 14:28:53 GMT 2008

Dan
thanks a lot

Yes I am studying the documents referenced, and would like to follow the
same convention
however, expertise is not equal to education, in no way.
expertise is  meta knowlege (dont ask me to explain that to computer
scientists)

So far,  from a knowledge engineering point of view  and thanks to my
background in
expertise modelling, I can provide a simplified model of expertise for
simplicity

expertise =3D knowledge +skills+experience (more....)

In the real world, there is no clearcut separation between the above terms,
as they are co-dependent, so the algorithm can be fuzzy and include
heuristics

people can gain knowledge and skills at school, of from work, or from life
so we simply list all the options in the schema

I am not expecting consensus or approval on the above
But I do need a namespace in foaf for expertise, I think, and possibly some
subsets

now I  am sure we can come up with the metaexpertise element set really
easy, but I am not sure how namespaces are reserved,  are there rules,
procedures?

foaf:expertise
       foaf:expertise:education
       foaf:expertise:workexperience
       foaf:expertise:language

On Jan 25, 2008 8:45 PM, Dan Brickley <danbrickley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25/01/2008, paola.dimaio at gmail.com <paola.dimaio at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > do we have a namespace
> >
> > foaf:expert or foaf:expertise?
> >
> > I think expertise is more explicit, while expert is more desirable
> perhaps
> > as it is more primitive
>
> Have you looked into how educational metadata systems handle this - eg
> http://www.chin.gc.ca/English/Standards/metadata_educational.html
> http://www.dublincore.org/groups/education/
> http://docs.google.com/View?docid=3Ddn8z3gs_44gfmxc7
>
> Characterising expertise is quite tricky, and those communities have
> probably the best oversight into approaches that will tie in with
> educational materials, education policies, qualification frameworks
> etc. I'm afraid I don't have a good summary / overview at the moment
> though.
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan

-- =