[rdfweb-dev] hey

Marc Canter marc at broadbandmechanics.com
Mon Jun 30 16:37:34 UTC 2003

What Urs brings up is ONE real benefit of deploying FOAF into the real
world.  This is a pragmatic implementation - which requires FOAF to
represent more than one level of relationship.

Look at it this way:
            - as these social networking system spread (Friendster is
adding 12k people A DAY)
            - the need arises to transfer or connect the various friends
links or reputations systems that develop
            - yes - indeed they're called 'trusted networks'
            - some of these social software vendors consider these
trusted nets - THEIR I.P.
            - while others have said they're willing to open them up
-and connect them to others
            - I've done a survey of existing and planned trust systems
(Affero, XpertWeb, NetDeva)
            - and none of them are using FOAF as a 'data structure' for
representing one's personal set of friends links

SO now you have a goal!

As TypePad comes out and sets in stone the usage of FOAF as a blogroll
representation system

It's up to you guys - and me - and a few others..

To get FOAF used elsewhere - and THEN if we can connect SixApart's
efforts to:
            - inter-connecting trust systems, blogrolls and friends
networks..from all over the Net
            - tying in one's personal meta-data
            - bring in GPS, RSS and other existing standards into the
mix
            - tying this into all the research, OWL, W3C, T B-L efforts
and ideas..

You can be DAMM CLOSE to having some real semantical value out there.

Thanks Ben - for getting this started.  And thank you Morten for the
cool, new FOAF Explorer features.

Now it's time to get this stuff into the hands - of the people!

- Marc Canter